I was lucky enough to attend ISTE last week and choosing to write my discussion on some great tips and tricks I picked up! One of my favorite tips was about google drive. It can certainly be difficult to find things on google drive and time consuming to create and sort information in folders. Just label your docs to the units your working on. For example. If you are teaching a social studies class with 10 units, label your activities "SSUnit1 - activity name" this way when you want to find an activity you just need to look up "SSUnit1" and everything will be listed.
The highlight for many at ISTE were the google sessions. On day one I didn’t really know what I was doing and I thought I could walk into any session that was available. I learned that the google sessions were rather difficult to get into so I made sure to get in line extra early for the new updates session they offered. I’m excited to say, if you have not heard, you can now select ‘lock screen’ on a google form quiz! If students are using a chromebook to take a google form quiz that has lock screen enabled, the form will go into full screen and students cannot access anything else! Mind. Blown. Another great update is in google classroom. Google classroom can get very overwhelming so they have added a ‘classwork’ tab at the top where you can better organize and assign class assignments.
Google Docs also has an add-on audioforslides.com which will allow you to add audio to your slides!
Lastly, for those sneaky children who close out tabs really quickly when you come around: CTRL+Shift+T reopens recently closed tabs!
Brooke,
ReplyDeleteThis post has so many good ideas! I had those sneaky multiple tab opening students last year, so it's good to know that CTRL+Shift+T will open those closed tabs right back up. I just tried it on my own computer and it totally works! I also can't wait to try out the lock screen feature for the Google Forms quiz. Thank you for sharing!
Hi, Brooke! I was at #ISTE18 as well! Those sessions - not even just Google ones - were tough to get into most of the time! I love that Google Forms lock screen idea. I haven't used Forms as a quiz very often yet but it's on my list of things to try next year. Thanks for sharing that one!!
ReplyDeleteBrooke,
ReplyDeleteSounds like ISTE was great!! Thanks for sharing the tips about organizing Google drive and the audio add on for Google Slides. I am super excited to hear about the lock screen feature with Google Forms. I will definitely be looking into if our Chromebooks have the lock screen enabled capabilities, and if not, how can we go about getting that added. I will also probably use the short cut to open recently closed tabs, but honestly it might be more for me because I tend to close tabs semi-accidentally. Thanks for sharing some of your ISTE knowledge!